The Best of Tangier
Tangier, the capital of the Tétouan Region, has a rich history from the historical presence of many civilizations and cultures that conquered this area starting in the 5th century BC. Tangier sits at the western entrance to the Strait of Gibraltar where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic Ocean off Cape Spartel.
This beautiful city, only 35 minutes from Spain by modern hydrofoil or two hours by normal ferry boat service, has a hugely multicultural society, predominantly Muslim, but with small Christian and Jewish communities who express tolerance for one another. In the 1950's Tangier was a refuge for many artists and writers from America and Europe.
- Pick Up at Airport, Ferry Port or at your Hotel.
- Start your day with a panoramic city view from the vantage point of the Colline de Bella-Vista. Then drive to see the Grand Socco, a popular night-time square close to the Mosque of Sidi Bou Abib and the link between Ville Nouvelle and the medina.
- Next visit the Caves of Hercules and Cap Spartel, a majestic part of Tangier.
- Option to visit the Sh’ar Raphael Synagogue, one of the surviving remnants of Jewish Heritage in Tangier.
- Next, visit the old medina. Enter the medina at Rue Es-Siaghinie, the busiest part of this Roman medina lined with cafes and bazaars, a Spanish church, jewelers’ shops, and an arts center displaying works depicting Tangier’s social history. Walk the Petit Socco which was once the heart of the medina where businessmen and bankers frequented cafes, hotels, casinos, and cabarets that have since relocated to Ville Nouvelle. Move on to visit the Grand Mosque, built on the site of a Portuguese cathedral. Walking north, you will then visit the Kasbah decorated with mosaics, ornamental stucco, and woodcarving.
- Have a traditional Moroccan lunch in the city center then explore the Quartier du Marshan, an attractive residential area west of the Kasbah. Next, visit the Anglican church of St. Andrew built for Tangier’s growing British population. After, make a stop to appreciate fine works of art at the Musée d’ Art Contemporain showcasing contemporary Moroccan paintings.
- In the mid afternoon, take a break and experience Tangier’s cafe scene at the Cafe de Paris, a popular meeting place for Tangier residents, expats, and a former favorite of Paul Bowles.
- Option to visit the Moroccan Cafe Hafa, an attractive restaurant with a terrace and gardens that overlook Gibraltar – perfect at sunset and another former writing spot of Paul Bowles.
- Return to your hotel, the ferry port, or the airport.
OTHER TOURS FROM TANGIER
You will journey and Discover the BEST OF TETOUAN on this 1 Day Excursion throughout this seaside city.
wind: 7mph E
H 59 • L 57
Weather from OpenWeatherMap