Visit Skoura, Kasbah Amerdihl, and have lunch in the Palmerie at a charming guest house with gorgeous views.
- Morning departure from your riad or hotel in Ouarzazate.
- Take the road to Skoura.
- Visit Skoura and the Valley of One Thousand Kasbahs. Skoura is a fertile oasis lined with immense palm groves that provide great views of the Atlas Mountains alongside desert landscapes. It is renowned for the cultivation of roses. The palm groves were laid out in the 12th century by the Almohad sultan Yacoub el-Mansour and named after its original inhabitants, the Berbers of the Haskourene tribe. The most beautiful kasbahs in southern Morocco can be found here and many of them are still partially inhabited.
- The entrances to the palm groves in Skoura can be explored on foot, bicycle, or by mule. Ask your driver to stop if you are interested in stepping out of the 4×4 to see more of the area.
- The small, sleepy town of Skoura has a big market Souk every Monday. Most impressive in Skoura are the many kasbahs that ripple through its dry rocky oasis.
- Visit Skoura’s Kasbahs: Ben Morro Kasbah high above Skoura was built in the 17th century and now operates as a guest house. Amerhidil Kasbah once belonging to the Glaoui family, the most powerful family in the village and responsible for its protection, is owned by the Sheikh of Amerhidil. Kasbahs of Aït Abou is the oldest Kasbah in the palm grove and the outer areas have been transformed into a garden filled with pomegranate, apple, pear, fig, quince, and olive trees that provide the necessary shading for growing crops.
- For lunch, relax on a terrace with clear views of the Skoura Palmerie and enjoy a traditional Moroccan meal.
- Return to Ouarzazate and visit Kasbah Taourirt. Kasbah Taourirt was built by the Glaoui family at a strategic location for trading routes and in the 1930’s it was then one of Morocco’s largest kasbahs. Explore the nooks and crannies of this wondrous kasbah and visit local artist’s galleries and silver shops just steps outside the Kasbah.
wind: 7mph NE
H 47 • L 38
Weather from OpenWeatherMap