Safi / 1 Day
Journey and discover the seaside town of Safi on this One Day Excursion from Marrakesh.
- Morning departure from your hotel or riad in Marrakesh. Journey to the Moroccan coastal town of Safi on the Atlantic Ocean. A day trip to Safi is a serene escape from Marrakesh where you can relax by the sea.
- A large town with a population of over 300,000, Safi has a major sardine port which has been functioning since the 16th century.
- Visit the old medina in the center of the town with traces of designs and architecture from the time of Portuguese occupation.
- Enter through Bab Chaaba, the Gate of the Valley. Browse the pottery and ceramics quarter on Rue du Souk. Colline des Potiers is the famous pottery quarter where you can find most beautiful pottery in Safi.
- Next, explore the Portuguese citadel, or Kechla, originally a cathedral built by the Portuguese in 1519. Nearby is a mosque, an 18th century garden, and a national museum that houses traditional and modern ceramics from Safi, Fes, and Meknes with pieces by Boujmaa Lamali.
- Enjoy a seafood lunch at one of the delicious restaurants at Place de L’Independence.
- After lunch, visit other Safi treasures. The Dar el Bahar is a small ancient fortress overlooking the sea. Other points of interest include the Jewish synagogue on Avenue Zerktouni. Ff you are Muslim, you can enter two important Sufi shrines, the Marabout Sidi Bou Dheb and the Zaouia of Hamidouch.
- On the return to Marrakesh enjoy a quick stop at the Kasbah Hamidouch, part of the system of fortified outposts built by Moulay Ismail.
- Visit the mosque, stroll by charming ruined buildings and visit the village shops, houses, and an old chapel. Drive back passing through the Chaidma region, the land inhabited by the holy Regara Berbers, descendants of the seven apostles of Islam.
wind: 9mph S
H 67 • L 67
Weather from OpenWeatherMap