High Atlas Toukbal / 1 Day
Journey and discover Imlil Village & High Atlas Toubkal on this One Day Excursion from Marrakesh.
- Morning departure from your riad or hotel. Depart Marrakesh by 4×4 and head south toward Imlil. Imlil is a small, peaceful village in the High Atlas Mountains of Morocco that has become the center of mountaineering in the area. At 1740 m above sea level, Imlil sits just below Djebel Toubkal, the highest peak in North Africa.
- Upon arrival, take a short tour of the village which is fertile in spring and summer with waterfalls surrounded by greenery. Explore the small shops selling Berber silver jewelry and local Moroccan crafts.
- Travel a winding road and then take a short hike to Kasbah Toubkal. Enjoy lunch and tea on the terrace with breathtaking views of Toubkal and the surrounding kasbahs.
- Other lunch options: A cafe in the village of Imlil, or a Berber picnic.
- On the trip back to to Marrakesh, there is the option to visit the town of Asni and Richard Branson’s Kasbah Tamadot for afternoon tea.
EXTENDED STAY: SUMMIT MOUNT TOUBKAL
- The village of Imlil is relatively new as it emerged to service the mountaineers traveling through the area en route to Mount Toubkal. There are many other older villages in the valleys around Toubkal: Tamatert, Ait Souka, Tagadirt, Acheim, Taourirt n’Ait Mizane, Mzikene, and Arhrene. Before the advent of mountain tourism the Imlil area was well known for walnut, apple, and cherry orchards.
- If you are interested in climbing Mount Toubkal and want to summit to the top, extend your stay and include the trek as part of your itinerary. We will arrange for a qualified local mountain guide, mules, and mule drivers to transport equipment and supplies. The climb to the summit of Mount Toubkal takes two days. On the first day, take a 7 hour hike up to the refuge to camp overnight. On the second day, a 5 hour climb to the summit and a 5 hour return to Imlil.
wind: 3mph E
H 59 • L 54
Weather from OpenWeatherMap