Explore Ait Benhaddou Kasbah
Visit Ait Benhaddou. 3Lawrence of Arabia, Sodom and Gomorrah, and Jesus of Nazareth were filmed here. Ait Benhaddou once served as the former caravan route between the Sahara and Marrakesh.
- Morning pick up from your riad or hotel in Ouarzazate.
- Visit Ait Benhaddou. 32 km from Ouarzazate, Ait Benhaddou is situated in Souss-Massa-Draâ on a hill along the Ouarzazate River. Lawrence of Arabia, Sodom and Gomorrah, and Jesus of Nazareth were filmed here. In recent years, controlled restoration has been carried out under the auspices of UNESCO. Ait Benhaddou once served as the former caravan route between the Sahara and Marrakesh. Most of the town’s inhabitants live in a more modern village on the other side of the river, however ten families still live within the old ksar.
- Take a private tour through this Berber village of towered and crenelated kasbahs that once guarded the lucrative caravan trade route through the Atlas Mountains.
- For lunch, relax on a terrace with clear views of Ait Benhaddou and enjoy a traditional Moroccan salad and a hearty tajine.
- End the day with a short visit to Kasbah Taourirt which was was built by the Pasha Glaoui. Kasbah Taourirt’s location was strategic for trading routes and in the 1930’s, when the Glaoui ruled the south, it was one of Morocco’s largest kasbahs. Explore the kasbah’s nooks and crannies. Visit local art galleries and silver shops just steps outside the kasbah.
- Return to your hotel or riad in Ouarzazate.
wind: 7mph NE
H 47 • L 34
Weather from OpenWeatherMap